Wednesday, September 20, 2017

DAY 4: RUNNYMEDE, WINDSOR CASTLE, OXFORD, AND THATCHED TAVERN

August 27, 2017

We woke up early to head out to RUNNYMEDE, where the MAGNA CARTA was signed by King John in 1215 under duress. He was facing rebellion and agreed to sign this giving certain liberties to the people. It was this MAGNA CARTER that Thomas Jefferson had just read and got some ideas before writing our DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE. It was a really cool spot to stop and see. We walked down this pathway with this huge green field and in the middle of it was 12 chairs that had cool pictures on them. This is where they sat to sign it. We got to sit in those chairs for photos!

 We walked in this field to reach this area where our awesome tour guide taught us.



 Look how cool the front and backs of these chairs are. I don't know what they mean but each chair is different:



The poem I made up for Roll Call was this:
                                     
                                                        The Magna Carta gave freedom of law,
                                                        the great men who signed our declaration,
                                                        for them, Group 5 is in awe!

The we moved on to see where the Queen resides, WINDSOR CASTLE:
I loved WINDSOR CASTLE. It just kept me in awe that all of the KINGS AND QUEENS have lived there. William the Conqueror started building it in 1070 and finished it in 1086.  That's old! One of the girls that worked in the CASTLE showed me and my mom where the living quarters of QUEEN ELIZABETH are. She lives in the CASTLE most of the time. They don't allow photos to be taken inside the CASTLE darn it!



This is a view of St. George's Chapel on the grounds of Windsor Castle.

Right when we got to WINDSOR CASTLE, they were just about to begin the CHANGING OF THE GUARD. It was pretty cool to watch. It was so funny, because it's all really serious and they have to do special things to finish their little ritual, and then the Royal Band comes out and you think they are going to play their National Anthem or something serious, and instead they break out playing Earth Wind and Fire's SEPTEMBER! We cracked up laughing and they were dancing with their instruments. It was so great!





We got to wander around and check everything out and we took a tour inside the CASTLE and it was really cool. I loved it!

This is what I left for our ROLL CALL:
                                                               Windsor Castle and the changing of the guard,
                                                                makes leaving for Group 5, very hard!!

Then we hopped on the Blue Bus and drove to OXFORD.

We took a walking tour with a guide who was kind of weird, and kind of hard for me to understand and listen to. One thing that was funny was I think he forgot he was on a live microphone, and as we were walking he was mumbling to himself and we heard him say the "F" word a few times! He kept saying, "So there you have it!"  It was funny!

I learned that on the campus of OXFORD UNIVERSITY, are 38 other major colleges. There's a bunch of them right next to each other such as CAMBRIDGE and it's actually known as OXBRIDGE. All I can say is they have the coolest, oldest building that are so ornate I took a bunch of photos because they have lots of statues in them. Don't worry I won't put them all on here! Anyway, I believe OXFORD UNIVERSITY was build in 1096. So it's the oldest UNIVERSITY. Lots of Prime Ministers went there, Bill Clinton, Hugh Grant, Emma Watson, yeah they went there too!







 I would hate to live here. Everywhere on campus has this cobblestone walkway and it hurts your feet after awhile and I was worried I was going to stumble. You can't get around as fast on it.





 This is where J.K Rowlins got the idea to put the long lunch table in Harry Potter

Then we drove to STRATFORD UPON AVON. That's where we slept for 2 nights. We got home and then I was so excited when just down the street from us was a PUB I really wanted to go to. I had looked up places to eat before the treat in each city and I wanted to try this one.

OLD THATCHED TAVERN is the oldest PUB. It was very small inside but they served good food and it was a lot of fun! I was really happy that they had all of my favorite assorted olives!

I learned that SHEPHERD'S PIE is made out of SHEEP. So I ordered COTTAGE PIE which I learned is the same thing only made of BEEF. It was SO GOOD! We all loved eating here!
Some of the ladies we met on our bus ate with us too.

 COTTAGE PIE...delish!
 My favorite olives and nummy bread in oil and balsamic vinegar.

 I love visiting the pubs!


This was a fun but long day and we saw a lot of interesting things!

No comments:

Post a Comment