Friday, September 22, 2017

DAY 10: EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND!

September 2, 2017

Today was a super fun day! We stayed in EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND all day! I was so excited to see the EDINBURGH CASTLE and then SHOP all day down the ROYAL MILE. I love that we are staying right on the ROYAL MILE and its so convenient to everything.

One thing I have to mention is that we had a great bus driver, DAN. I tell ya, the buses, which they call, COACHES, would get in some really tight squeezes and would come so close to each other we would all hold our breaths. I was so shocked we never got in a wreck. So today I thought for ROLL CALL I would write a poem for him:
                                    Dan the coach driver has been the best!
                                    He's driven us through England, Scotland, North, South, East and West.
                                    He's driven through winding roads and really tight spots it's true
                                    But has always kept us safe, so Dan, WE LOVE YOU!

Dan, our Romanian COACH DRIVER from Ireland!
 The man in the kilt was our city tour guide and he walked us up to the castle and then we were on our own.
 As we were leaving, we saw the road blocked off and all of these bikes. We found out it was the Tour of Britain! Kind of cool as I had just watched the Tour of Utah a few weeks ago!
The road blocked off for the bike race. Notice the streets and how they are paved? It's like this all over the place and it's hard for me to walk on!
 They have really cool building like this all over the place here. It's kind of blurry because it's taken through my bus window!
 Remember when we were in London and I told you the Queen was in Scotland? Well the second ship is her ship and that's what she rode on to get to Scotland! We stopped to see it!

                                  I snapped a photo of Mom and the Scottish Tour Guide

Then we made a quick stop to see one of the summer homes of the Queen. Queen Mary loved it here!



They wouldn't let us in so we had to take photos through this beautiful gate!

When we were driving around we saw really cool buildings, and where J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter, and we saw where some famous people lived and it was interesting.
I just took a photo of this cuz it said Paisley. I love my Paisley!

 Where this red door is, is where Robert Louis Stevenson was born.

We learned that people used to white out or board up their windows because they got taxed on how much sunlight came in through their windows. Can you believe that? That is insane!


Here are few things we saw as we walked up the street to see EDINBURGH CASTLE!

Not quite sure how they did this balancing act!
We saw lots of cool buildings like these.

And we are here! This is EDINBURGH CASTLE!


I don't know why I keep putting photos of the walkways but I just couldn't get over them. They are so bumpy!


This was called the Great Hall and they still use it today for dinners and fancy shindigs!

Just a few things inside the castle:

This fireplace was huge!


These pictures were humongous!
We walked through this War Memorial and it was really neat.

We can't take pics of the CROWN JEWELS but we did see this crown and sword


 You know the King James who translated the Bible? Well we saw the little room he was born in:


This was the room King James was born in.
The very small window from the room he was born in.

We saw lots of cool stuff in the castle but I'm not going to put tons of pics on here but I thought this one was cool. It's a room in the very dark, cold DUNGEON. I could see how it could have rats, freezing cold conditions, and I could see how a prisoner could get so sick in this living condition. Sad!



Just a few awesome views from the castle.


This little patch of green is a PET CEMETERY at the castle.



This Cannon, Mon Meg is still in working condition. The stones below are what was made to go in the cannon. It can hold a stone weighing 330 lbs.

This was Queen Mary's sanctuary.
I loved seeing everything in the castle. We were not on a tour in the castle, we just went wherever we wanted and we could stay as long as we wanted too because for the rest of the day we got free time. We shopped all day and went to dinner. It was a fun day!

Here's some of what we saw walking down the ROYAL MILE from the castle:
I love seeing these red telephone booths all over the place!


This guy was dressed up like William Wallace
I loved listening to the bagpipes!

We finally got to eat at the restaurant we tried to get into last night. It was so good!!


I was so happy to get a good cup of hot chocolate!
Debbie liked hers too!
I ordered this really good mac-n-cheese
Debbie and Mom got this and they loved it!

And then we shopped and shopped and shopped some more!
We then went home and slept in our comfy beds. We loved this hotel!
We all had a great time today and we love EDINBURGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment