Thursday, October 15, 2015

SAN FRANCISCO TRIP

Sept 17-20, 2015

I planned a fun trip to SAN FRANCISCO and was so happy when Mom, Debbie, Joyce and Jenny could come with me. We had so much FUN! We did as much in the few days as we could. We saw everything we really wanted to see. We always have a great time when we are together! I took 692 pics and so it's hard to pick what photo's to include here. I did the best I could in a short time.

Day 1: We flew into Oakland because it's closer to Stefanie. We were so excited to see her and her cute family. Their lives are so busy with school and sports that it was hard for us to do anything besides meet up for lunch. We had a great time with them though. We ate at BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse in Dublin. It was really good!


 Here we are on the airplane. I really hate flying so I was happy this was a short flight. I am so thankful for the patch that sat behind my ear so I didn't get sick!

                    Wish someone would have told me I had a big loopy thing in my hair! I like sitting by a window or in the aisle seat. If I sit by the window I can put my head on the cool window when I start feeling sick!

Here we are at BJ's Brewhouse with the Christensen Family:
                                    John, Stefanie, Debbie and Hadley. I love this family!
                                                               Dane and McCord
                                                              Shirley, Jenny and Joyce
                                                          Me with the Boys!
 Joyce was so sweet to give me this pic! It's one to go in her  funny faces of Joyce, disc 2.
And here we are. All of us but Joyce since she took the pic. Wish so bad we could have spent more time with them. I'm just so glad Debbie got a chance to see the grandkids!

After we left the Christensen's, we drove to WALNUT CREEK to check into our hotel at the MARRIOTT. Well, I'm going to keep this short. They gave us a KING SIZE BED! Instead of two queen sized beds with a roll-a-way bed like we had ordered. They expected 4 of us to sleep in one bed! Are you kidding me? Well, needless to say we had to get another room for the night and then we cancelled our reservation with them and stayed in another hotel, which ended up being closer to San Francisco. We will never forget that drama!  We took a walk around WALNUT CREEK. It's a cute little place.

Joyce and Jenny surprised us with a gift pack they put together for each of us. Remember how they always give us See's candy with they travel with us? Well check out what they did for us! They are SO AWESOME!
Jenny has an APP that tells her what national day it is for the craziest things. For example it was national Friendship Day, National Travel with a Buddy Day or something like that and she got us fun stuff to go with each day. Plus they got us a backpack, a water bottle, Peanuts and Cracker Jacks's for our baseball game, and our own individual sized See's candy.Wow! We were so surprised!

We were so glad that Stef and John told us to leave 2 hours earlier than when we needed to be there, otherwise we would have missed our appointment with ALCATRAZ! Can I tell you how HORRIBLE the TRAFFIC is in SAN FRANCISCO? Crazy, I tell you. It seriously took us 2 hours to get there. Check out a pic of what I had to drive in!
Insane! I do have to say however, that California drivers are so courteous and way nicer than Utah drivers. Holy Cow! I love that about them!

We found parking which was a small miracle and made it to the Pier in time to get on the ship for ALACATRAZ. We took the audio-tour and it was awesome! It was so crazy to be there and here the inmates voices telling the stories of how that place operated, and to learn the sad fate of those who tried to escape. After the tour, a surviving PRISONER was there to autograph his book.

                                    The Rock: Alcatraz the view thru a window on the boat
                                        The view of the city as we were leaving on our boat


                                                            The Watch Tower


                                           I would not like to shower here in front of everyone



                                 These bad guys were the narrators on the audio tour





                                                            I can explain!
                                                 Crazy mean this one!
                                                               Don't mess with this one!
            This was the inmate signing his book. He was in for counterfeiting.

After Alcatraz we walked through FISHERMAN'S WHARF(this is a fun place!) and we ate at a really good restaurant (suggested by my friends Pat and Darla, they said it was a must!) The restaurant is called SCOMA'S. It was a bit pricey but DELISH! Joyce couldn't stop talking about how good her meal was. You can tell this was a true Italian (Mafia) run restaurant by the cars and people inside. It was one we would go to again if given the chance!



 This is some seafood dish with little pasta's that Joyce went nuts over.

After we ate lunch we bought tickets to the HOP ON, HOP OFF BUS TOUR. It was the best way to see SAN FRANCISCO! We saw LITTLE ITALY, CHINA TOWN, GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE, GOLDEN GATE PARK, LOMBARD STREET, THE PAINTED LADIES, ETC... We saw it all! You can jump off and spend as much time as you'd like at each stop, and hop back on when you were ready to see something else.

It was SO WINDY on the top of the bus where we sat but way fun too! We got some pics of the bridge but the goods one would be taken the next day.

                                            I love this GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE!
 I just kept praying there wouldn't be an earthquake when we drove over this bridge!
                                 I didn't get a chance to ride a trolley but here's one to look at!
                                          Here we all are on the top of the hop on hop off bus!

                                The nummiest chocolate store! Ghirardelli Square right here!
                                                 Look how steep these streets are!

                                                            We took a selfie in the tunnel


 This is a horrible pic and yes, my garments are hanging out but the wind was blowing so hard we just laughed and laughed!
                                                                        Jenny and Debbie
     Look at my hair! I kept trying to keep it in a side braid but it would blow out and my hair was in knots!
                                                          Golden Gate Park



 Ok, so Haight Street and all the streets like Masonic Street were crazy interesting!



 The Hippies lived in San Francisco and they left their mark on some of the buildings.



  I love the cool homes! It's a Painted Lady if it has 3 different colors on it. (I learned that on the bus!)

 We learned lots of stuff on this tour. One thing is you have to be crazy rich to live here!

After our tour it was getting late so we decided to go have DESSERT at GHERARDELLI SQUARE.
Oh my! Delish! I got a SALTED CARAMEL SUNDAE!

                                     Debbie was super excited for her Hot Fudge Sundae!
                                                        All I have to say is NUM!
                                     We shared our treat. It was amazing, truly it was!
                                                               Joyce and Jenny loved theirs too!

We drove back to the hotel and on the way we had to cross over the BAY BRIDGE! It is so BEAUTIFUL! I am used to driving with lights that automatically come on and the lights were bright on the bridge but then I realized in places, I couldn't see as well. Geesh! I didn't have my lights on! Scary! We don't know what we would do without Jenny navigating us around on her cell phone. Thank Goodness for her! This was a scary place to drive. It's totally nuts!

BAY BRIDGE in the daytime:



 BAY BRIDGE AT NIGHT TIME:


The next day was AWESOME! We left early so we could find parking and spend some time getting our pics at the GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE.








Then we went to a SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS GAME! They were playing the ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS! How crazy that the weekend we go they are playing Arizona? Joyce and Jenny were excited about that. I loved being there. I got us AWESOME TICKETS!  We were on the 35th row lower level, right by HOME PLATE and a little towards FIRST BASE! Plus, it was a hot day and we were under the shade of the upper level. SWEET! We ate our PEANUTS AND CRACKER JACKS and I got me a HOT DOG and a COKE. Joyce got the famous GARLIC FRIES. My favorite part of any game is when we get to sing TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME during the 7TH INNING STRETCH! I used my selfie stick to video tape us singing it! :) We were happy to get our SF GIANTS playing cards to add to the collection!







I took this pic with my Selfie Stick!












We loved being at the BASEBALL GAME but when it was over we hurried back to the PIER 39 to jump on our BOAT. We went on a DINNER CRUISE. It was a very casual one and it was nice! We got to go around ALCATRAZ, ANGELS LANDING, and under the GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE. The wind was blowing so hard again and it got a little chilly. We stayed inside for the last little bit of the CRUISE. What a FUN DAY and NIGHT we had! Afterwards we shopped around FISHERMAN'S WHARF again.


                     This is the view of Alcatraz from our boat. We rode all the way around it.
                                  I loved seeing lots of sail boats out on the water.
                                 It got a bit windy. What's not to love about the salty sea air?

 Here are the pics of us sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge...Ready...
 Set...
 Go! Here we are directly under the Golden Gate Bridge. So super cool!
 This is Angel Island. The Asians used to come here when coming to America like Ellis Island but on the West Coast. (I learned about it when I read Shanghai Girls for Book Group!)

                                                     Mom checking out the sea.                  




 I love the ocean. I am mesmorized by it. Seriously, I wish I lived near the ocean!

                                     Our buffet. Deb looks cute in her SF Giants T-shirt!
                                                                   Cutie Patooties!


 Do you see all those home behind the boats? That's the City of Sausalito,

 This is a restaurant (I found out later it's another SCOMA's) in Sausalito!
I know I have shown a lot of pics of this bridge but I just LOVE it!

The last day of our trip we got up early and headed up the WINDING ROAD to the MUIR WOODS. We got there early, before it opened and got an awesome parking spot! We were warned that sometimes you have to park far away and walk a half an hour just to get to the path. We were the first ones there and we got to walk in and see the BEAUTIFUL REDWOOD TREES. It was so quiet and peaceful there. They were MAGNIFICENT in SIZE and we enjoyed a really nice walk through the FOREST. I was amazed! I loved it so much and was so grateful we made time to visit here. When we were walking out, that's when the buses started pulling in. We timed it perfectly!







                              These pics of Joyce put in perspective how huge these trees are!


                                                     It was such a beautiful walk.

                                                        I loved this part of the trip!

The last thing we did was walk around the quaint little town of Sausalito. They have a tons of little shops. You'd have to be loaded to live here. The houses were huge and they all live on a hill. Crazy! It was super cute but we made one bad mistake. So far on this trip, everything has been perfect except we went to breakfast at this little Italian place that was supposed to be the best place to eat breakfast according to Trip Advisor. So we ate there and then walked around a few blocks down and realized there were so many awesome restaurants we could have tried instead. I wished we would have driven around first. Oh well. It was ok.
 Sausalito has tons of little shops and see the houses in the background up the hill?


I love these little cities by the ocean. I could just sit here all day and watch the water, the boats and the people. It was so pretty!

Oh we had a wonderful weekend in San Francisco. We saw so many awesome things, and experienced some new places and made lots of FUN MEMORIES! And then we flew back home. It made me so excited for our next trip, next year! 
                               




No comments:

Post a Comment