Sunday, June 4, 2017

CERT CERTIFIED!

May 2017

We did it! Jessica and I finished our CERT TRAINING! We had a MOCK DISASTER and it was HARD! We were both a little upset that we had been given the assignment of RESCUE because we would have to go in and haul out all of the victims without stepping on "live wires" and carry them over several obstacles in the dark.  Fortunately more women showed up and they were put on our team. It was still very difficult to CARRY out those people. They were heavy! We were exhausted from the weight of carrying them (some with head and neck injuries that we had to really be careful with) and the heat. We were dying! But we did it and we did it well!

I was so happy when I got moved to MEDICAL OPS. That's more up my alley!  I had to treat all the crazy wounds like head wounds, metal bjects  sticking out of their femurs, seizures, people not being able to breathe, etc...it was pretty intense!  They have students come in and get awesome make up done and these kids had awesome acting skills! The Fire Dept was watching our every move to see if we were doing everything right.

Jessica got moved to do the SIZE UP TEAM. She had to go around the outside of the building and in the inside of the building before TRIAGE and RESCUE teams entered the building, to see if it was safe enough to go in. She had to "turn off the gas at the meter" too. Then she had to join a RESCUE team once she completed that task.

I was so happy that we accomplished this task and that we are CERT CERTIFIED. I hope I never have to use any of the stuff I learned. I hope we never have a devastating earthquake! But if we do...I am so happy that I have a little understanding of how to help others and possibly help save lives.

I loved going through this with my niece, Jessica. I never would've thought to do it had it not been for her! I was thankful she showed up for this because she came down with a horrible head cold.

 We were hot sweaty messes after we took all of our gear off. We were totally pooped! But we are funny huh?
Ha! Ha! What would you think if you saw these two coming in to RESCUE you. LOL!!

The following week they had a "Graduation" to get our certificates and our CERT vests. I couldn't make it because I was prepping for my colonoscopy ha! ha! and there was not way I was leaving my house!!

Jessica picked it up for me though!

No comments:

Post a Comment