Saturday, January 4, 2014

SAME SEX MARRIAGE

December 23, 2013

I found out during our ADULT CHRISTMAS DINNER that UTAH had been told by a Supreme Judge that we now had to legalize SAME SEX MARRIAGE. This decision affects me because I have to issue MARRIAGE LICENSES at my work and I am often WITNESS to MARRIAGES performed there. I have strong feelings about this issue. I believe that MARRIAGE should be between a MAN AND A WOMAN, however, I feel that SAME SEX PARTNERS should be given certain rights and benefits too. I just wish they could call it a legal partnership or something and not marriage. Anyhow, when we arrived at work on Monday, December 23, 2013, HISTORY WAS BEING MADE and I was apart of it. There was a LONG LINE of GAY COUPLES standing outside our door and clear down the hall. We were to perform our work duties in a professional manner and of course we all treated everyone with respect and we got more comments about how nice our office was and how professional and they felt that no one in our office was JUDGEMENTAL and there wasn't any negative feelings regardless of how our personal opinions were. We even got flowers sent to us, cards and some even brought us all hot chocolates. They were very grateful to us. It ended up being a real eye opener for me. It was hard for me to not feel happy for some of these couples who have been together more than 20 years and as tears rolled down their faces, my heart was touched. There weren't any COUPLES there trying to make a statement, they weren't obnoxious, they were thankful and grateful. We were all so busy with 4 of us typing up MARRIAGE LICENSES as fast as we could, and 2 people receipting them, and 2 others making the legal copies and Carl MARRYING them in large groups, we did 120-140 MARRIAGE LICENSES and 99.5% of them MARRIED there that day. A few ministers came and performed bulk weddings to help us. Poor Carl was exhausted when he left for home. It was definitely the busiest day at work we ever had and one that we will never forget. (The next day, Christmas Eve, was just as crazy busy but we got to go home at noon!) Even if the law changes and Utah no longer recognizes SAME SEX MARRIAGE, I was part of HISTORY for a small moment and just had to write about it.
 Putting together marriage licenses as fast as we could before we opened!
                                                 Working my way into history today!
                                                
 The lines outside our office went clear down the hall! And they remained that way all day long!



                                                     Line starting from another angle
                                      Lined up waiting to come into get their marriage license
 This is how it looked all day long. We would bring about 5 couples in at a time.
                 First same sex couple married in Davis County, December 23, 3013

No comments:

Post a Comment