Friday, November 27, 2015

AUNT EVON'S FUNERAL

November 21, 2015

My dear sweet Aunt Evon passed away November 16, 2015. Years and years ago (I think I was in Jr. High) she got breast cancer and had a double mastectomy. She had been cancer free for all those years and just recently was diagnosed with breast cancer in her eye! When we heard about it she was given 10 days to live! My Dad and Mona picked up my mom and Pat Toone (a neighborhood friend) on Sunday to go visit Evon. They were so happy that they did for she passed away early the next morning.

Aunt Evon lived next door to us growing up so we were closer to her than anyone else on my Dad's side of the family. I remember when she was my Young Women's President and going to Girls Camp with her. She was a lot of fun but mostly I will remember her for her sweetness, her mug of hot chocolate she always carried around, and her SOUTHERN SOUP!

Aunt Evon was my Dad's last living sibling and I know that must be hard on him. I dread that day! I'm the youngest sibling and I could one day very well be in his shoes. It would feel very lonely.

Aunt Evon's funeral was held on Steven's Birthday out in West Jordan. We attended her funeral which was very nice. It was fun to hear some of the fun memories of her. I enjoyed listening to my Dad talk about growing up in the back woods (swamps) of Florida, and what they endured growing up and then moving to Utah at age 14. It was a great service.

We will miss Aunt Evon but I am also happy that she is reunited with her husband, Uncle Wayne and her mother and other brothers. What a wonderful reunion that must have been.

I always feel funny taking pics at funerals just because others feel weird about it but I always regret not taking them. I just pulled my cell phone out and took random shots, none very good but here are a few of my Layton cousins and some old 5th ward friends.

Betty Babcock from old 5th Ward showed up and Mom was so excited to see her!
 My cousin Denise Putnam, my Dad, and my cousin Tammy Allred that lives in Washington that I haven't seen in 30 some odd years. She is Aunt Evon's only daughter and just finished going through chemo for breast cancer.
                                 My Mom, cousins Ron Duggar, Shelley and Mike Duggar

                         My cousins Ron and Mike Duggar talking to my cousin Bob Layton.
                                  My beautiful Aunt Evon. May she rest in peace. Love her!

No comments:

Post a Comment